Margarita Shrimp Salad
Blend the flavor of a margarita - tequila, orange and lime - then toss in diced avocado, fresh shrimp and sliced red onion, spiked with a creamy, spicy sour cream dressing.
Makes: 4 servings, about 2 cups each
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound medium shrimp, (30-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup thinly slivered red onion
- Creamy Lime-Chile Dressing, (recipe follows)
- 4 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 2 medium endives, cored and torn into pieces (2 cups)
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into segments
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Lime wedges
- Toss shrimp, tequila, orange zest, lime zest and salt in a medium bowl. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place onion in a small bowl, cover with cold water and some ice; let stand for 10 minutes, or until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, make Creamy Lime-Chile Dressing.
- Toss romaine, endive, orange segments and the drained onion in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Divide among 4 plates. Toss avocados with lime juice and divide among the salads.
- Drain the shrimp, reserving the marinade. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and sauté until pink and firm, 2 to 3 minutes. Divide among the salads. Add the reserved marinade to the pan and bring to a boil, stirring; spoon over shrimp. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing.
Per serving: 407 calories; 22 g fat ( 4 g sat , 12 g mono ); 181 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 27 gprotein; 10 g fiber; 633 mg sodium; 1021 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value), Vitamin A (80% dv), Potassium (51% dv), Folate (42% dv), Fiber (39% dv), Iron (25% dv), Magnesium (22% dv), Calcium (15% dv).